7. SENDING YOUR MESSAGE
Click here to print these instructions.
1. Click on the member from the Member List to whom you would like to send your message. Your email program should open with the member's email address in the "TO:" box. In the "Subject" box, type in the U571 codesheet month, day, year, and Enigma model that you used to encrypt the message. For example: Use my U571 Codesheet, December 16, 1944, Model B.
2. Click down into the main message box of the email. In this box you must first type what is called a "header." The header should be arranged like this:
3. Refer to the U571 December 1944, codesheet, Day 16.
4. Look at the last section entitled "Kenngruppen".
5. To create the first part of the Kenngruppen (the first five letters of your message), choose one of the 3-letter groups from the Kenngruppen section of the codesheet. Choose GQP. Type these as the first three letters of your message.
6. Then select 2 random letters. Choose FA. Type in these letters right after GQP.
7. Now proceed and: (OPTION 1) type the rest of your message in the message section of the email or, (OPTION 2) paste the copied message into the message section of the email. Note: When pasting the message, the 3-letter encrypted message key is included at the beginning of the message. Delete this 3-letter encrypted message key This is not part of the message. It is included in the header. After deleting the 3-letter encrypted message key, your message will not be in groups of four or five. You will need to readjust the groupings manually into 4- or 5-letter groups.
8. Your encrypted message should look something like this.
1830 1tle 1tle 73 YPX FZQ
GQPFA CHESY QJBXB VAJEM UNAYU XLCGH ZSBNE NVFAY WZHVY TFBMT DWXMR QZIHX OGQQW THOSF FNHOU EIF
9. Click send.